*New 11.4 series Release:
2020-07-03: XigmaNAS 11.4.0.4.7633 - released!

*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-04-17: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7542 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Motherboard died. Move disks to new system?

Motherboard compatibillity with XigmaNAS, questions, answers, suggestions
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
Heath
NewUser
NewUser

Motherboard died. Move disks to new system?

Post by Heath »

As the title says, the motherboard died on my system (lots of troubleshooting to make sure, but when I power on, there's never any POST or beeps at all). I have another complete, fully functional PC. It's still a bit old, but has better specs than the one that just died. Better RAM, better CPU, etc. Can I simply move the hard drives (keeping them plugged into the relative positions - Sata0 to Sata0, Sata1 to Sata1, etc), move the boot USB drive over, and be good to go?
Last edited by Heath on 16 May 2020 20:16, edited 1 time in total.

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Motherboard died. Move to new system?

Post by raulfg3 »

probably disk where detected, but you must change NIC on shell ( because you can't acess to webGUI), once changed, all must work, but is mandatory that you use clear config & Import disk , to load disk in webGUI in real order.

and do a reboot to be sure that this changes are persistent and boot normally.
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

HP T510

Heath
NewUser
NewUser

Post by Heath »

I apologize for not quite understanding. I have not moved the hard drives or the USB boot disk to the new system yet. Both the old and new motherboard have the required dedicated SATA ports (I'm not using an expansion card). If I keep them in the same order, and boot from the same USB drive, what issues would I run into? What else would I have to do?

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 »

Heath wrote:
16 May 2020 19:34
I apologize for not quite understanding. I have not moved the hard drives or the USB boot disk to the new system yet. Both the old and new motherboard have the required dedicated SATA ports (I'm not using an expansion card). If I keep them in the same order, and boot from the same USB drive, what issues would I run into? What else would I have to do?

as I say;

issues: NIC not working, you need to configuere from shell ( need a keyboard and a monitor to do it)
Order of disk: do not matter, only need to do a clear config & import Disk.

What else would I have to do? save your actual config file y a safe place.
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

HP T510

Heath
NewUser
NewUser

Re: Motherboard died. Move disks to new system?

Post by Heath »

Success! All I had to do was reconfigure the NIC. I know you said HD order didn't matter, but I did install them in the same order as before. So when the system booted up, all my data was just there. Everything works, Kodi can play videos, our family file shares, everything. But, I do have a notice on the Disks>Management page that states:

"Configuration information about devices is different from physical devices. Please remove those devices and re-add them or run import disks with clear configuration option enabled."

I'm a bit hesitant to do that since everything is working wonderfully. So is there any potential to mess up a working system by doing that clear config and import disk operation? I'm currently running NAS4Free 11.1.0.4 (5565).

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Motherboard died. Move disks to new system?

Post by raulfg3 »

Do a clear config and import disk, is safe, i promise.

Wiki
Last changes

HP T510

Return to “Motherboards”