*New 11.4 series Release:
2020-07-03: XigmaNAS 11.4.0.4.7633 - released!

*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-04-17: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7542 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

A new Lite Version

Post/Debate your Suggestions & Requests of XigmaNAS here. This ONLY pertains to XigmaNAS.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
Bobby072
Starter
Starter

A new Lite Version

Post by Bobby072 »

With all the new features coming out each update the memory and resources used are also a little more.

What about a Lite Version for people that just want to use it as a NAS and don't need all the extras.
Remove as much bloat as possible.

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Re: A new Lite Version

Post by JoseMR »

With all the new and cheap hardware coming out every year, everyone can have a decent NAS.

What about an hardware version upgrade for people that care about their data, (or even self compiling).

Donate as much as possible the older hardware for charity.

No offense, just my 2 cent, regards
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS Mirror, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

jamaroney
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by jamaroney »

Bobby072 wrote: With all the new features coming out each update the memory and resources used are also a little more.
XNAS uses very little in terms of memory or resources compared to other NAS systems. If your machine is having problems handling it, then it must be quite old and in need of replacement. As JoseMR noted, nowadays there are many inexpensive options.

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

Here is another XigmaNAS Embedded vs RootOnZFS RAM usage efficiency for the current 12.1 release:

Side by side screenshot:
Embedded_vs_RootOnZFS_RAM_Usage.png
As you can see, even a Full platform is 2GB system RAM friendly.

Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS Mirror, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

Bobby072
Starter
Starter

Post by Bobby072 »

jamaroney wrote:
28 Jun 2020 12:23
Bobby072 wrote: With all the new features coming out each update the memory and resources used are also a little more.
XNAS uses very little in terms of memory or resources compared to other NAS systems. If your machine is having problems handling it, then it must be quite old and in need of replacement. As JoseMR noted, nowadays there are many inexpensive options.
I'm not having any problems sorry if i mislead you into thinking that.

I would choose a lite version if all i was doing is archiving storage. I have no need for the extra stuff and if giving a choice Im always going with less complex. People that want need extra features can choose a different installation iso. Just a suggestion.

ms49434
Developer
Developer

Post by ms49434 »

Bobby072 wrote:
28 Jun 2020 15:02
jamaroney wrote:

I would choose a lite version if all i was doing is archiving storage. I have no need for the extra stuff and if giving a choice Im always going with less complex. People that want need extra features can choose a different installation iso. Just a suggestion.
Who's going to decide what should be in a 'lite' version? The better option would be to fork XigmaNAS and create your own version with everything removed that you don't need.
1) XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4 amd64-embedded on a Dell T20 running in a VM on ESXi 6.7U3, 22GB out of 32GB ECC RAM, LSI 9300-8i IT mode in passthrough mode. Pool 1: 2x HGST 10TB, mirrored, L2ARC: Samsung 850 Pro; Pool 2: 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, SLOG: Samsung SM883, services: Samba AD, CIFS/SMB, ftp, ctld, rsync, syncthing, zfs snapshots.
2) XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4 amd64-embedded on a Dell T20 running in a VM on ESXi 6.7U3, 8GB out of 32GB ECC RAM, IBM M1215 crossflashed, IT mode, passthrough mode, 2x HGST 10TB , services: rsync.

Bobby072
Starter
Starter

Post by Bobby072 »

ms49434 wrote:
28 Jun 2020 15:05
Bobby072 wrote:
jamaroney wrote:

Who's going to decide what should be in a 'lite' version? The better option would be to fork XigmaNAS and create your own version with everything removed that you don't need.
LOL better for who?

I like EZ, I would leave it up the minds of XigmaNas to decide, they decide what extras goes into it I would trust them to dicide on a reasonable lite version too. Could even put it up to a forum vote on a scaled down version. Let the people decide.

ms49434
Developer
Developer

Post by ms49434 »

Bobby072 wrote:
28 Jun 2020 15:23
ms49434 wrote:
28 Jun 2020 15:05
Bobby072 wrote:
jamaroney wrote:

LOL better for who?

I like EZ, I would leave it up the minds of XigmaNas to decide, they decide what extras goes into it I would trust them to dicide on a reasonable lite version too. Could even put it up to a forum vote on a scaled down version. Let the people decide.
XigmaNAS is a community driven project, go ahead.
1) XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4 amd64-embedded on a Dell T20 running in a VM on ESXi 6.7U3, 22GB out of 32GB ECC RAM, LSI 9300-8i IT mode in passthrough mode. Pool 1: 2x HGST 10TB, mirrored, L2ARC: Samsung 850 Pro; Pool 2: 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, SLOG: Samsung SM883, services: Samba AD, CIFS/SMB, ftp, ctld, rsync, syncthing, zfs snapshots.
2) XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4 amd64-embedded on a Dell T20 running in a VM on ESXi 6.7U3, 8GB out of 32GB ECC RAM, IBM M1215 crossflashed, IT mode, passthrough mode, 2x HGST 10TB , services: rsync.

Bobby072
Starter
Starter

Post by Bobby072 »

Well I don't know the how ZigmaNAS pecking order works.

How many people are working on it?
Who tells them what to do?
From start to finish how does the work flow go? Someone has to be sort of in charge or it would be chaos.
How much is Michael Zoon involved in this process. Does he call all the shots?

ms49434
Developer
Developer

Post by ms49434 »

Bobby072 wrote:
28 Jun 2020 15:58

From start to finish how does the work flow go? Someone has to be sort of in charge or it would be chaos.
Many, just to name a few: there are the forum moderators, the wiki maintainers, the IRC chat supporters, the website maintainers, the extension developers, the XigmaNAS core developers and the language translators. Some are listed under Help > License & Credits in XigmaNAS, please have a look.

Nothing ever looked chaotic to me, we are all volunteers.

He's the project owner of XigmaNAS. The core developers are working together quite closely.

Bobby072
Starter
Starter

Post by Bobby072 »

ms49434 wrote:
28 Jun 2020 18:26
Bobby072 wrote:

Many, just to name a few: there are the forum moderators, the wiki maintainers, the IRC chat supporters, the website maintainers, the extension developers, the XigmaNAS core developers and the language translators. Some are listed under Help > License & Credits in XigmaNAS, please have a look.

He's the project owner of XigmaNAS. The core developers are working together quite closely.
Thanks I did take a look at that help screen you suggested.

How do you all keep on the same page on what to do next? to avoid too many cooks in the kitchen, or more than one person working on the same thing doing redundant work and not realizing it.

If you think of a idea for a change or fix do you send a email to someone that must approve or OK the work?

Who puts it all together into a final nightly build?

Just curious how the process works.

ms49434
Developer
Developer

Post by ms49434 »

Bobby072 wrote:
28 Jun 2020 19:14
ms49434 wrote:
28 Jun 2020 18:26
Bobby072 wrote:

Thanks I did take a look at that help screen you suggested.

How do you all keep on the same page on what to do next? to avoid too many cooks in the kitchen, or more than one person working on the same thing doing redundant work and not realizing it.

If you think of a idea for a change or fix do you send a email to someone that must approve or OK the work?

Just curious how the process works.
How do you all keep on the same page on what to do next?
I never had an issue on what to do next, and if so, we would simply talk to each other.

We talk to each other.
- If the idea is good, it's being done,
- if the idea isn't good enough, we might find a better solution or drop it.
- If the idea is bad, we drop it.

Michael Zoon puts together and publishes nightlies, betas and releases.

Bobby072
Starter
Starter

Post by Bobby072 »

Thanks for the information. Keep up the great work!

bewoco
Starter
Starter

Post by bewoco »

Back to the root of this discussion, a XigmaNAS lite Version:
I understand that having that request is not mainstream and finally should be done by self-compilation. Ok.
Is there a description how to self-compile, at least without doing any changes to the selected mainstream version?
NAS4Free 12.1.0.4 (revision 7542) x64-embedded on HP ProLiant N54L with AMD Turion(tm) II Neo Dual-Core Processor 4096 MB ECC RAM;
NAS4Free 12.1.0.4 (revision 7542) x64-embedded on Acer H341 with Intel Atom D410 4MB RAM

ms49434
Developer
Developer

Post by ms49434 »

bewoco wrote:
29 Jun 2020 17:02
I understand that having that request is not mainstream and finally should be done by self-compilation. Ok.
Is there a description how to self-compile, at least without doing any changes to the selected mainstream version?
Yes, it is documented in the wiki. Although it refers to FreeBSD 11.2, the same applies to FreeBSD 12.

apollo567
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by apollo567 »

To be really honest, I don't think the light version is worth the effort.
I mainly use the NAS for backup Storage and I simply leave the not needed options untouched. This works normaly very well and an USB Stick of 8Gb for the Software should make it for quite some time...... System RAM of course (and thats less a topic of the Xigma-NAS than of its feature ZFS) you always take advantage of more. But this wouldn't change with a light version.
my NAS and its development until today: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=39&sid=039fed830cf ... 4d0abe4a04

cookiemonster
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by cookiemonster »

I quite agree with that apollo567. I get why people would want to have more and more functionality on XN to avoid separate machines for functionality other than storage if they have the system resources, it's not an all-purposes OS.
For a mainly-storage os, a small for today's standards usb is sufficient and one doesn't have to enable additional functionality and keeps a small footprint both in bootable media and memory. Having said that, It could be a fun project for the OP if he/she wanted to roll his own.
Main: Xigmanas 11.2.0.4 x64-full-RootOnZFS as ESXi VM with 24GB memory.
Main Host: Supermicro X8DT3 Memory: 72GB ECC; 2 Xeon E5645 CPUs; Storage: (HBA) - LSI SAS 9211-4i with 3 SATA x 1 TB in raidZ1, 1 x 3 TB SAS drive as single stripe, 3 x 4 TB SAS drives in raidZ1.
Spare1: HP DL360 G7; 6 GB ECC RAM; 1 Xeon CPU; 5 x 500 GB disks on H210i
Backup1: HP DL380 G7; 24 GB ECC RAM; 2 Xeon E5645 CPUs; 8 x 500 GB disks on IBM M1015 flashed to LSI9211-IT

bewoco
Starter
Starter

Post by bewoco »

ms49434 wrote:
29 Jun 2020 17:21
bewoco wrote:
29 Jun 2020 17:02
Yes, it is documented in the wiki. Although it refers to FreeBSD 11.2, the same applies to FreeBSD 12.
Hello, I just giving self-compilation a try. Why: To fit the flash size of my old Acer H341 internal flash (256MB), no RAM problem.
I am following the wiki. FreeBSD 12.1p6 is installed in VirtualBox. Found cvsup is depricated, replaced by svn, therefore downloaded sources with "svn checkout https://svn.FreeBSD.org/base/stable/12.1 /usr/src".
Also checked out freebsd trunk with "svn co https://svn.code.sf.net/p/xigmanas/code/trunk svn"
Building from scratch: Update, Build an install kernel ok. Currently fails at build ports, e2fsprogs.
Perhaps it would be better to use an XigmaNAS release instead of trunk?
NAS4Free 12.1.0.4 (revision 7542) x64-embedded on HP ProLiant N54L with AMD Turion(tm) II Neo Dual-Core Processor 4096 MB ECC RAM;
NAS4Free 12.1.0.4 (revision 7542) x64-embedded on Acer H341 with Intel Atom D410 4MB RAM

zoon01
Developer
Developer

Post by zoon01 »

Hi,
A light version is not worth the time and efforts for us to create, I will not provide them any time soon.
The only benefit could be a smaller size of the installer and install directory.
For ZFS the RAM specs will not change, the more ram you get the better performance you could potential can have.
Users could compile smaller images them self, its well documented.

XigmaNAS still has a very small footprint compared to many other NAS related projects.
System specs: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4 -embedded on Samsung 860 EVO 256GB and Supermicro X10SL7-F w / Bios v3.2, IPMI v.03.86 / CPU E3-1241 v3 @ 3.50GHz - 32GB Crucial DDR3L 1600mhz ECC 1.35v , LSI 2308 on PH20.00.07.00 IT mode, Storage: 5x Western Digital Red (WD30EFRX) raidz

Development system is same system in virtualbox.

Return to “Suggestions & Requests”