*New 11.4 series Release:
2020-07-03: XigmaNAS 11.4.0.4.7633 - released!

*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-04-17: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7542 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Connect to 2 different LANs

Routers, switch, hub, LAN, WAN, port forwarding, configuration etc go here
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
gomario
experienced User
experienced User

Connect to 2 different LANs

Post by gomario »

Hello everyone. Can you please explain in simple terms, how can I connect my Xigmanas Server to 2 different LAN networks?
I have 2 LAN cards installed and configured correctly. Both LAN cables plugged in their respective routers (and work 100%).
But I can only connect to one at a time only. Because the physical connections are in place, I can switch between networks by first changing:
1. CONFIGURE NETWORK INTERFACES (re0) or (rl0) and then
2. CONFIGURE NETWORK IP ADDRESS

192.168.0.10 for "re0" and
192.168.1.10 for "rl0"

That way i can access both router devices and their respective networks (192.168.0.10 or 192.168.1.10)

The issue is, I would like to cross access the networks too. (192.168.0.xxx from 192.168.1.xxx and the other way around)

I am tired of first accessing XigmaNas GUI from the correct LAN, change settings to the other LAN and then LOG in the new network. Not to mention that both resources are split along the 2 networks :-(

ms49434
Developer
Developer

Re: Connect to 2 different LANs

Post by ms49434 »

gomario wrote:
28 Jun 2020 14:30
Hello everyone. Can you please explain in simple terms, how can I connect my Xigmanas Server to 2 different LAN networks?
I have 2 LAN cards installed and configured correctly. Both LAN cables plugged in their respective routers (and work 100%).
But I can only connect to one at a time only. Because the physical connections are in place, I can switch between networks by first changing:
1. CONFIGURE NETWORK INTERFACES (re0) or (rl0) and then
2. CONFIGURE NETWORK IP ADDRESS

192.168.0.10 for "re0" and
192.168.1.10 for "rl0"

That way i can access both router devices and their respective networks (192.168.0.10 or 192.168.1.10)

The issue is, I would like to cross access the networks too. (192.168.0.xxx from 192.168.1.xxx and the other way around)

I am tired of first accessing XigmaNas GUI from the correct LAN, change settings to the other LAN and then LOG in the new network. Not to mention that both resources are split along the 2 networks :-(
Did you already consider to create a bridge to bring the networks together (Network > Interface Management > Bridge)?
You could also think about configuring multiple networks on a single NIC: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/co ... hosts.html
1) XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4 amd64-embedded on a Dell T20 running in a VM on ESXi 6.7U3, 22GB out of 32GB ECC RAM, LSI 9300-8i IT mode in passthrough mode. Pool 1: 2x HGST 10TB, mirrored, L2ARC: Samsung 850 Pro; Pool 2: 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, SLOG: Samsung SM883, services: Samba AD, CIFS/SMB, ftp, ctld, rsync, syncthing, zfs snapshots.
2) XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4 amd64-embedded on a Dell T20 running in a VM on ESXi 6.7U3, 8GB out of 32GB ECC RAM, IBM M1215 crossflashed, IT mode, passthrough mode, 2x HGST 10TB , services: rsync.

gomario
experienced User
experienced User

Post by gomario »

"You could also think about configuring multiple networks on a single NIC: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/co ... hosts.html"...

You are so good. You know a lot about this things. I should have asked the forum before buying a second NIC card :-)
Mind you, I like the idea of have 2 complete separate cards (for the 2 networks). I hope it will help with the speed too. The motherboard and processor are more then powerful enough to handle 2 x 1Gbit LANs (i7 1st gen 920)

The "Multiple networks on a single NIC" is a very elegant solution but I prefer the BRIDGE mode (now that I have 2 x NICs).

Will come and ask again in here, if I run into problems during configuration.

Thank You,

gomario
experienced User
experienced User

Post by gomario »

Ok, I did the Bridge connection. It does work. All resources are available on both networks but:... And here comes the BUT
At anyone time my connected networks are busy transferring date. I have no idea what data that is. 30Mbit going round and round. Non of my devices download anything from Internet. But the wired devices show the data been downloaded. I disconnected the internet and the data is still downloading. Keep in mind, the two routers were previously directly connected (LAN because only one has internet and I want the other network to have internet too).
Now both this routers are basically connected for a second time (thru the bridge connection in the Xigmanas server). Oh, and the funny thing is, if I disconnect the Bridge (Xigmanas server), my internet stops. Remember though, the two routers are LAN connected but for whatever reason that connection does not work without the bridge. And there is more. If i disconnect the direct connection between the routers, the internet stopps once again... Oh Man, this is a mess now...

gomario
experienced User
experienced User

Post by gomario »

"You could also think about configuring multiple networks on a single NIC: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/co ... hosts.html" -
I am trying to do just that but ...
I have inserted the following in the rc.conf file:

ifconfig_re0_alias0="inet 192.168.2.10 netmask 255.255.255.0"

but after restart, the system delete it right away :(

My first (main) network is 192.168.1.10 and would like to access the NAS from a secondary LAN with address 192.168.2.xxx

gomario
experienced User
experienced User

Post by gomario »

Here is a copy of my rc.conf file

mfs_type="md"
dmesg_enable="YES"
lighttpd_enable="YES"
syslogd_enable="YES"
syslogd_flags="-8 -s"
msntp_enable="YES"
zfsd_enable="NO"
firewall_type="CLIENT"
firewall_script_auxrules="/etc/rc.firewall.auxrules"
msmtp_config="/var/etc/msmtp.conf"
msmtp_msgfile="/tmp/message"
devmatch_enable="NO"
LCDd_enable="NO"
autosnapshot_enable="YES"
bsnmpd_enable="NO"
ctld_enable="NO"
fuppes_enable="NO"
fusefs_enable="YES"
hastd_enable="NO"
hostapd_enable="NO"
inadyn_enable="NO"
firewall_enable="NO"
iscsi_initiator_enable="NO"
istgt_enable="NO"
lcdproc_enable="NO"
mdnsresponder_enable="NO"
microcode_update_enable="YES"
minidlna_enable="NO"
mtdaapd_enable="NO"
mysqldb_enable="NO"
ntpdate_enable="NO"
nut_enable="NO"
nut_upslog_enable="NO"
nut_upsmon_enable="NO"
powerd_enable="YES"
proftpd_enable="NO"
sshd_enable="NO"
swap_enable="NO"
syncthing_enable="NO"
tftpd_enable="NO"
transmission_enable="NO"
unison_enable="NO"
vbox_enable="YES"
websrv_enable="NO"
websrv_htpasswd_enable="NO"
wpa_supplicant_enable="NO"
zfs_enable="YES"
varmfs="YES"
varmfs_flags="-U -t -o noatime -m 2"
populate_var="YES"
hostname="xigmanas.local"
firewall_client_net="192.168.1.10/24"
ifconfig_re0="inet 192.168.1.10/24 -wol wol"
defaultrouter="192.168.1.1"
netwait_ip="192.168.1.1"
netwait_if="re0"
cloned_interfaces="bridge0"
ifconfig_rl0="up"
ifconfig_bridge0="up mtu 1500 addm re0 addm rl0 "
ipv6_activate_all_interfaces="NO"
powerd_flags="-a minimum -b minimum -n minimum"
varsize="512m"
vartmpsize="256m"
fuppes_logfile="/var/log/fuppes.log"
mtdaapd_logfile="/var/log/mt-daapd.log"
rsync_client_logfile="/var/log/rsync_client.log"
rsync_local_logfile="/var/log/rsync_local.log"
blanktime="300"
saver=""
nfsv4_server_enable="NO"
nfsuserd_enable="NO"
static_routes=""
devfs_system_ruleset="vbox_rules"
smartd_enable="NO"
samba_enable="NO"
rsyncd_enable="NO"
netatalk_enable="NO"
rpcbind_enable="NO"
mountd_enable="NO"
rpc_statd_enable="NO"
rpc_lockd_enable="NO"
nfs_server_enable="NO"
Last edited by gomario on 03 Jul 2020 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Network switchs & routers”