Table of Contents
XigmaNAS® - The original open source Network Attached Storage distribution
XigmaNAS can be installed on a wide variety of hardware and supports data storage and transfer for all popular client operating systems (Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android) over a number of standard network protocols.
History of the name
XigmaNAS has gone through several name changes throughout its lifetime, but it has always been the original open source NAS distribution. Originally called “FreeNAS” when development began in 2005, the project changed its name to “NAS4Free” in 2011 to avoid legal issues when iXsystems acquired the trademark to the “FreeNAS” name. In 2018, we were awarded our final, legally registered name, “XigmaNAS.”
- Web-based interface: XigmaNAS is powered by a fast, stable, and responsive WebGUI which allows the entire server to be configured and managed without the need to interact with the FreeBSD command line. Administrative tasks are simplified so users of all skill levels can manage their system with ease.
- Share data with any device: XigmaNAS supports sharing with UNIX-like, Apple macOS, Windows, iOS, and Android systems (and others that use compatible network protocols).
- Share data over any protocol: Some supported protocols include: CIFS/SMB (Samba), Active Directory Domain Controller (Samba), FTP/SFTP/FTPES, SSH, NFS v4.1, AFP, DNLA/UPnP, RSYNC, Unison, iSCSI (initiator and target), UPnP, Bittorent and Bridge, CARP and HAST protocols.
- Advanced storage features: XigmaNAS supports and recommends ZFS to ensure the integrity of your data, but also supports software RAID (0,1,5), JBOD, and UFS. Disk Encryption is also supported to keep your data secure. S.M.A.R.T. monitoring with email notifications can alert you about issues with your drives before they become a critical problem. XigmaNAS also supports advanced formatted drives using 4kb sectors.
- Virtualization host: XigmaNAS includes an integrated web-based Virtualbox host that can run virtual machines managed by phpvirtualbox.
- Boot options: XigmaNAS can be booted of from a LiveCD or LiveUSB, and optionally installed on Compact Flash, USB flash drive, SSD, Hard drive or a number of other bootable devices.
- Database: MySQL (via MariaDB) and phpMyAdmin are included.
Current stable releases:
- 3.0 million downloads and counting!
Version 220.127.116.11.9328, released 2022-08-23
- Read the readme.txt file before installing.
Release notes for this version:
- Upgraded FreeBSD to 12.3-RELEASE-P6.
- XigmaNAS Forum - The best resource for support and news for XigmaNAS.
- XigmaNAS talks on IRC: libera.chat IRC Channel #xigmanas
IRC is a great way to get help from people and share ideas. Just be patient, it might take a while to get an answer to your question. Some people are away or busy working on other things. We recommend that you ask your question, then stay online in the room and check back every hour or so to see if someone has replied to you.
Looking to contribute to our project? Here's a list of the many ways you can contribute, including financial donations, coding contributions, and even user interface localization (help us translate the user interface).
Contribute to this Wiki
Contributions to the wiki are welcome!
Please visit the XigmaNAS forum, create a user account, and then use the forum to send a private message to zoon01 requesting a wiki editor account.
XigmaNAS Partners & Sponsors
A big thank you goes to Andrew from CwLinux Limited http://www.cwlinux.com, who donated a nice CW12832 128×32 Graphical LCD screen.
If you would like to add your company or need more info, please contact info(at)xigmanas.com